Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Wild Edibles: Spiderwort

Spiderwort can be found all over. This picture is of the yard next door (having an abandoned house next door does have benefits). It's covered in this very pretty and fully edible plant.

You can prepare the stems like you would asparagus. My Mom steamed them then added lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Yum!!! Here's a photo of our steamed Spiderwort stems with spaghetti. Even my sisters thought it tasted good.


My sister Lily got involved with removing the flowers and my Mom made a candied flower with it. She coated it with egg whites then sprinkled sugar on them and let them dry. They were good too!



Even the chickens enjoyed the Spiderwort! Hey, waste not, want not!




2 comments:

  1. A note on steaming the stems. You may want to blanch them first. They were a bit chewy. Also, go light on the egg white coating when making the candied flowers. They would have been better if they were crunchy. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, how adventurous - trying the yard weeds on your dinner plate! I'm not sure if MY Lilly would have been so eager, like your sister. I like your blog, Kaden.

    ReplyDelete